If you have scheduled for IV Sedation with Dr. Shufflebarger here are some important things to remember and follow for your scheduled procedure:
- You can not eat or drink for 8 hours prior to your scheduled appointment time. This includes milk, coffee, juice, etc. We recommend not extending this rule for much past the 8 hours if avoidable to assist with your sedation process (for example we prefer 9 hours versus 17 hours).
- The only exception to this 8 hour rule, is you can have water only, but that must be discontinued 3 hours prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- You must have an adult with you during your appointment who can drive you home afterwards and watch over you for at least 6 hours after surgery. It is our rule that this escort must remain on the premises for the entire time of the procedure.
- If you take daily medications, you should take all medications as usual, however only sips of water should be used to swallow the pills. The only exception to this is if you take a blood thinner or other medication and you have specifically been instructed to stop the medication by Dr. Shufflebarger.
- If you use marijuana, you can not consume any marijuana for 24 hours prior to the scheduled appointment time.
- You must inform us of all medications that you are currently taking as well as any and all medical conditions prior to the appointment.
- If you use an inhaler, even occasionally, please bring the inhaler with you to the appointment.
- Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing with short sleeves for the appointment.
- We recommend not wearing flip flops for the procedure, as they are difficult to walk in post sedation.
If you have a concern after reviewing this information, please contact the office so we can be of further assistance.